Counseling & Psychological Services

(805) 893-4411 - M-F 8:30am to 4:30pm

Long Term Counseling - Community Referral

Long-Term Individual Therapy 
Paid with your health insurance. If you have UC SHIP, the first three sessions are free, subsequent sessions have a $15 co-pay per session

If you would like to see someone weekly over a long period of time, we can refer you to a mental health provider in the community who is part of your insurance plan.  Long term therapy is helpful for mild mental health concerns as well as more serious mental health issues. Some people prefer consistent, weekly therapy to address long standing concerns or simply to have a weekly space to gain support, improve overall well being, and better understand oneself and relationships. During your Brief Assessment appointment, the clinician can give you names of therapists in the area who would be best suited for your needs and preferences. We will also support you in providing information about how to go about making an appointment with a community therapist. If you have the campus SHIP insurance, the clinician will give you a referral form to present to your provider. We do our best to maintain an up-to-date list of clinicians in the community who are currently accepting new clients. 

If you decide to pursue therapy in the community, most students are able to schedule an initial appointment with a community provider within one week of you contacting them.

How to find a therapist

If you have UCSHIP insurance, CAPS is able to provide you with the referral form that is required. When seeing a clinician for a Brief Assessment, they will be able to talk you through the process of selecting a few community referrals that may be a good match for you. You can see the entire CAPS Community Referral List here. 

If you have your own private insurance (not UCSHIP), you are able to access community providers without a referral from CAPS. 
     1. Call the customer service number on your insurance card and ask for a list of providers in your area. 
     2. If you have an HMO, you will need to see a therapist that is already "in network" with your insurance.
     3. If you have a PPO, you can choose almost any therapist. Your insurance will give you specific information on your coverage.     

If you have Kaiser insurance:
In some instances, Kaiser Permanente will approve its members to receive services from community providers for mental health-related care on an outpatient basis.  In order to request this, call the Department of Psychiatry (NOT Member Services) in your Kaiser Permanente service area and explain why you are requesting treatment from a community provider (i.e., discuss your symptoms and lack of access to a Kaiser facility in SB County).  If you are immediately refused, you can ask to speak to the manager and make your request to them.  You do not need a referral to the Department of Psychiatry from your PCP.  

If You Have Medi-Cal Insurance
Medi-Cal partners work with The Holman Group to administer behavioral health benefits for their customers who have CenCal MediCal for Santa Barbara County.  The Holman Group has a contracted network of behavioral health providers who you may contact directly to schedule an appointment.  Here is a list of providers contracted with The Holman Group.  You may also contact The Holman Group toll free at 1-800-321-2843

If you have Medi-Cal from another county outside of Santa Barbara County and you would like to transfer it to Santa Barbara County to obtain local services, please call Social Work at 805-893-3087. 


Factors to Consider When Looking For a Therapist
The relationship, or fit, between therapist and client accounts for over 80% of what works in therapy. Make sure you trust your therapist and feel comfortable with them. If you attend a session or two and you don't feel good with therapist, go somewhere else!

Potential questions to ask therapists when you call:
- Are you taking new clients?
- How often can I be seen by you? (Once a week is fairly typical)
- What is the cost per session? Do you have a sliding scale or special rates for UCSB students? Are you able to provide a Superbill? (This is if you have PPO insurance)
- What is your therapy style? How do you typically operate in session?
- Do you have any experience working with my type of concern?
Need Help?