The mission of Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is to assist Student Affairs and the University in helping the student body achieve academically, socially, and personally through culturally responsive mental health services. CAPS is committed to providing a safe, inclusive, and affirming environment to ensure that all students remain psychologically healthy in pursuit of their goals.
- Inclusion: We create a space where all voices matter.
- Collaboration: We collaborate with each other and our campus partners for the purpose of providing high quality and comprehensive services.
- Compassion: We are guided by the values of respect, warmth, and empathy.
- Impact: We strive to create lasting change by being active, innovative, and invested in our mission.
Confidentiality is the cornerstone of counseling and psychological services, so we take protecting your privacy very seriously. You have a right to privacy and your written permission must be obtained before we will release information to anyone outside of our clinic, with limited legal and ethical exceptions. We want you to be aware that counseling records are maintained separately from any other records of the University – including academic, educational and job placement records.
There are some exceptions to confidentiality that you should be aware of. These exceptions include:
- Where there is reasonable suspicion of abuse of children or elderly persons;
- Where the person presents a serious danger of violence to another;
- Where the person is likely to harm himself or herself unless protective measures are taken; and
- Where release of records is court mandated.
Please review our Notice of Privacy Practices for further explanation. If you have questions or concerns about confidentiality, we encourage you to discuss them with our staff.
To request to release your records please complete this Release Consent Form. Please allow up to 14 days to process your request.
Fees for CAPS Services
CAPS provides services with no fee at the time of service. Your university registration fee covers the cost of counseling.
No-Show & Late Cancellation Fees
- If you are unable to keep your appointment, kindly give us 24 hours notice to avoid a cancellation fee. If you do need to cancel, please do so as far in advance as possible.
- If you cancel within 24 hours of your appointment, a charge of $25.00 will be added to your BARC Account.
- If you do not appear for your appointment, a charge of $55.00 will be added to your BARC Account. Once the appointment start time is reached without a cancellation it counts as a missed appointment.
- If you must cancel your appointment within 24 hours due to illness or serious emergency, you can request a Fee Waiver Form, available below or at the CAPS Front Desk.
- If you are going to be late for your appointment, please contact your psychologist with an estimated arrival time to avoid a missed appointment fee.
To request a fee waiver, please fill out the Fee Waiver Request Form completely, legibly, and concisely. Your request will be reviewed. Please submit the form within 10 business days of the late cancellation or missed appointment. Forms received after 10 business days from the missed appointment or late cancellation will not be accepted. You will be notified once a decision has been made on your request. Please allow up to 15 business days after CAPS receipt of the form for processing.